Tuesday 7 June 2011

The Best Teaching Profession

"Miss.. Miss..". A student called me and get closer to me.

"Assalamualaikum. How are you?"

"Waalaikumussalm. It's been long time not see you in this college.."

"I'm still teaching here". I replied with a smile.

"Miss, I need your help, but... Guys, could you please go first, I wanna talk to my lecturer for a while". She asked her two friends go for not listening to our discussion.

"Yes, continue. If I can help, I'll try my best". I have a responsibility to help any of my students if they need help especially in study matters.

"Miss.. hmm.. I need help. I think that I want to learn al-Quran from you." I keep silent waiting for her explanation. "I am so jealous when I see many of my friends already khatam al-Quran, and they can read very well. I'm still remember your advice in last semester about reading al-Quran. Miss, please teach me. I will pay..."

Before I give any answer, my mind go back to a memory of teaching subject Usrah every Friday morning. This is compulsory subject for Muslim students. Many of them can read al-Fatihah very well but unable to write it well and not understand the meaning of that surah. At the same time, I realized that there are many students cannot read Quran in a good way with good Tajweed. And the student in front of me is among those who cannot read al-Quran due to lack of religious knowledge.

She even told me her personal problem which related to her family problem. She never learned al-Quran during her childhood because she entered international school. She agreed to further study in this college because of her grandmother, and her mother still does not allow her to study here. My heart said that I should help her...

"Dear, InsyaAllah, I will try to help you, but please do not pay anything. Arrange your time first, then come and tell your free time. I will arrange my free time as well."

"Miss, thanks miss... I'm really want to read Quran correctly. Thank you Miss. Thank You."

After that short meeting, I'm still remember her face and I'm waiting her call for our first Quranic class. Praise be to Allah to give her guidance and please always show us the right path to be among those people in Jannah..


A beautiful Hadith from Prophet Muhammad PBUH: “The best among you is the one who learns Quran and teaches it” (Bukhari). It shows the significance of Quran teaching profession in the eyes of our Prophet PBUH. Any person who learn Quran and then teaches it to the others, enjoys a very reputable and high status in the eyes of our Prophet Muhammad PBUH.

Then, the Prophet (PBUH) also said: "The one who is proficient in the recitation of the Quran will be with the honourable and obedient scribes (angles) and he who recites the Quran and finds it difficult to recite, doing his best to recite it in the best way possible, will have a double reward." (Bukhari and Muslim). May Allah give such rewards to my students.

There are many rewards of reciting the Quran. An authentic hadith in At-Tirmithee states: "Whoever reads a letter from the Book of Allah, he will have a reward. And that reward will be multiplied by ten. I am not saying that “Alif, Laam, Meem” is a letter, rather I am saying that “Alif” is a letter, “laam” is a letter and “meem” is a letter.” So, lets increase our recitation of the Qur’an to gain these merits and rewards given by Allah.

May Allah make us never forget to read Quran even once per day.

No comments:

Post a Comment