Sunday 1 August 2010

Books Sharing

TODAY is 1st August 2010. Waaah! How time flies too fast...hmm

Yesterday as the last day in July, I went to Bookexcess because I have to spend time at least once at Book store and buy even a book in a month. Too busy with works and study is not the reason that i cannot spend my time with my books. So, a sharing for my reading in July as in below (even though I planned to read at least 5 books in a month, I'm just able to read three books only)

Di Bawah Langit
OPICK & Taufiqurrahman al-Azizy

The title of this book actually is also a title of a song by OPICK. I love OPICK's voice and the message in his songs. I knew this book through FB and his promotion during his first concert in Malaysia which was held at IIUM last year. Thanks to Rini, my Indonesia friend who bought me this book from Acheh.

The story is about the relationship between Maysarah, Jailani and Gelung, whereby they were not siblings by blood, but was taken by Kiyai as his own children. They live happily with another children. The conflict happened when Kiyai want to marry his daughter, Sarah with Jailani, but actually Sarah and Gelung loved each other. Days after that, Kiyai passed away and Jailani had to take over the place as the leader. Unfortunately, Gelung was too depressed due to his unreachable love and people assumed that he was crazy after that time.

Then, there were a lot of tragedies happened after that, such as the lack of rezeki from fishing, the thief case, the shirik belief from villagers and so on. Jailani tried so hard to maintain peace and harmony in his village but the villagers believed in Gelung more than him. Jailani also realized that his marriage with Sarah will not end happily coz he knew that her love only for Gelung. In short, Jailani was infected by serious disease and dead. Finally, Gelung and Sarah could live together with the aid of a umber of children who are living with them..


The Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and The Development of Madinah
Dr. Spahec Omer

This book was borrowed from IIUM Library long time ago. I read it little by little and it really useful in my thesis writing. The author is a IIUM Lecturer from KAED and described the development of Madinah from two views; history and urban development. Besides it was easily understood by the reader, his book was entertained by some real pictures related to the city of the Prophet.

I will refer mostly to his book in the topics as followed:
  • The Institution of Mosque and its main function in Madinah
  • The Peaceful coexistence with the environment in Madinah
  • The Economic Dynamism among Madinan society
  • Madinah as an Islamic City
By The River Piedra I Sat Down and Wept
Paulo Coehlo

I bought this book yesterday at Bookexcess. Honestly speaking, I admire the writing of Paulo Coelho. I had read The Alchemist, The Zahir, and Flowing the River, and will read another three books (The Winner Stands alone, Brida & the Witch of Portobello) which was bought 2 months ago, but time always envy myself..

This book is not thick, that's why I can finish it early even though there are a lot of books are waiting to be read. It is the story of Pilar and her childhood friend who loved her so much, but was a religious activist. In spite of convey the message of God to others, he was able to change the confusion of Pilar into faith and belief in God and Mary. Then, love is the foundation that change everything..

Although this book mentioned a lot of Christian Teachings, but I read this book in the angle of Islamic Teaching. Paulo's message on forgiveness is well written in this book. We knows that if you forgive others, you will be forgiven. BUT the most important thing is ALLAH is the Most Forgiving..

I wanna quote something from this book, Paulo wrote: "The wise are wise only because they love, and the foolish are foolish only because they think they can understand love. Love is a trap. When it appears, we see only its light, not its shadows." I wanna add something as well: Love is not blind, but always make people blind. Love is not stupid, but causes the stupidity among people. Love is not hurt, but might hurt someone else... Think about it~~

- End of Reviews -

Actually I begin to read two books (My Favourite Wife & The Kabul Beauty School) since two months ago, but still unable to finish it. I don't know why, but it try to finish them first before i start read new books again.. Pity them because I was unfair...

**Chapter Three is in progress. I have to focus more in thesis writing rather than blog writing.. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment